In 2019-2020 , the Friends of the Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium
- Offered about a hundred Friends cards to the staff of hospitals and rest and care homes in the Brussels Region – a small gesture as a big thank you!
- Financed the editing and subtitling of the videos by Michel Draguet (General Director of the MRBAB) “Visits confined between Friends” subtitled in NL and ENG thanks to the translations made by the volunteers. Visible on the Youtube channel of the Friends > Friends of the Fine Arts Museum of Belgium
- Offered 200 classes (3000 pupils) guided tours of the exhibitions Dali& Magritte and Wim Delvoye to 200 classes (3000 pupils).
- In early 2021, the Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium will be offering the Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium the digital device, 12 metro lines that will take you on a virtual journey through the superb collections of our museums, from the 15th to the 21st century.
- Provide support, via the Fonds Boël, to various projects of the mediation services.
- Manage a team of more than 100 volunteers.
In 2018 supported the Museum:
- More than 3000 primary and secondary school students benefited from free guided tours of the ‘Promises of a face’ and ‘Berlin 1912-1932’ exibitions.
- The Boël Fund provided financial support for the publication of ‘File au Musée’ (Phileas and Autobulle).
- The project ‘2020 Artworks, Belgian art at your fingertips’ madr good progress. Almost 200 notices have already been written.
In 2017 the Friends supported the Museum:
managing the work of 90 volunteers (approximately 15,000 hours)
by offering the work ‘From scene to scene’ by Angel Vergara
a patron donated 2 x 100 guided tours to schools in the Rik Wouters, Magritte, Broodthaers and contemporary art exhibitions, allowing more than 3,000 students to discover these great artists
To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the association of Friends and Educational Services (2020), in collaboration with the digital museum service, the Artworks 2020 project has been launched. This innovative concept would see the installation of a large interactive wall that would present the 6 museums and their flagship works.
bought benches for the Fin-de-Siècle museum and the Forum
supported the exhibition Magritte, Broodthaers & Contemporary Art and the Museum Choir.
The ‘Free Guides’ project financed by the René Boël Fund offers free guided tours for visitors every first Wednesday of the month.
- The guide The quotations of Magritte in the collection “A Museum in your pocket” was edited and printed thanks to the Friends
- In 2015, the Friends have offered to the Royal Museums a sculpture “The Bodybuilder” by artist David Altmejd, sculptor, born in Montreal (Quebec) in 1974 who lives and works in New York and London. (To be seen in the Forum)
- Thanks to a sponsor, patron of our association, 1500 schoolboys and girls enjoyed a guided tour of the exhibition “2050-a brief history of the future”, a great success!
- The Old Masters guide in the collection “A Museum in your pocket” was edited and printed thanks to the Friends
- Close to 100 volunteers managed by the association have provided more than 20,000 hours of work in the different departments at the museum! We thank them with all our hearts!
- The Gao Xingjian room was fully furnished (benches & mat) thanks to the Friends.
The Friends support the museums
The Friends support the Museums by managing the nearly 100 volunteers who assist the museums in a wide range of activities:
- welcoming the visitors in the lobby;
- serving in the museums shops;
- managing the archives;
- supporting the Educateam activities;
- operating the library;
- helping in the Digital museum;
- translating into Dutch and English;
- managing the Friends’ back office.
The Boël Fund finances the project Free Guides: free guided tours for all, in dialogue with today’s world.
In 2014 and 2013, the Friends acquired for the Museum the work by Marcel Broodthaers “Magritte”, and funded the publishing and printing of the guidebook Museum in a nutshell – Fin-de-Siècle. They also funded the lighting of Jan Fabre’s work in the royal staircase.
All these projects, dear Friends, can only be achieved thanks to you!